Why Oracy Matters?
Throughout this Inquiry we have heard compelling evidence of the educational benefits of effective and purposeful talk at every stage of schooling and how a greater focus on oral language improves outcomes for the most disadvantaged students. The ability to communicate effectively is an essential ingredient to both success in school and beyond. Evidence shows that oracy:
1. Improves academic outcomes
2. Underpins literacy and vocabulary acquisition
3. Supports wellbeing and confidence
4. Enables young people to have access to employment and thrive in life beyond school
5. Develops citizenship and agency